Tuesday, November 16, 2010

rekindling the flame

It has been 8 years since I last used a film camera. I wanted to get in touch with my film roots, so I purchased a Rolleicord and started using it. No built-in light meter, only 12 shots per roll of film, the square format is absolutely new to me, and there's no LCD screen to check if the pictures are fine --- anxiety hit me like speeding 12-wheeler truck on C5. Can I still do this? Do I even remember how film works? Will I be able to enjoy this again?

When the scanned negatives finally arrived, I felt like I was meeting the ex after a loooong time. A mixture of nervousness & excitement brewing in me as I opened the files. 

It was love at first sight! How flexible yet sensitive film is,  the smooth transition of light to shadow, the grainy texture, the anticipation, and the pleasant surprises reminded me why I fell for photography in the first place. :D

(bagong kaadikan nanaman 'to!)

4 comments: